Ordinance 5165 -- Immigration
Ordenanza Municipal 5165
Immigration Ordinance Support/Expenditures
Eighth Circuit Court Opinion
Cert denied US Supreme Court
State of Nebraska -- Analysis of Impediments
Civil Rights Compliance Review 5-31-2013
Agent Designation Form
Formulario para Designar a un Agente
Application for Occupancy License
Solicitud de Licencia de Ocupacion
Instructions for Application for Occupancy
Instrucciones para la Solicitud
Flow Chart and Helpful Information
Organigrama e Informacion Util
Fair Housing Information
Informacion sobre Equidad de Vivienda
Housing Discrimination Information Form
Formulario Sobre Discriminacion de Vivienda
Immigration Ordinance News
Immigration Ordinance News
On June 21, 2010, the citizens of Fremont passed a petition initiated ordinance relating to immigration. A copy of the
is available. A list of FAQ's is also available.
On April 10, 2014 All sections of Ordinance No. 5165 are being enforced.
1. E-VERIFY: The effective date of the employment provisions of Ordinance 5165 (sections 1 and 5) is March 5, 2012. All business entities doing business in the City of Fremont that employ one or more persons must register in the E-Verify program on or before May 4, 2012. A business entity may register
. A business entity that applies for any contract, loan, grant, license or permit from the City after March 5, 2012, must provide documentation that the business entity has registered in the E-Verify program and must execute an
stating that the business entity does not knowingly employ any person who is an unauthorized alien.
2. HOUSING: The effective date of the housing provisions of Ordinance 5165 (sections 2, 3, and 4) is April 10, 2014, and applies only to future tenancies, commencing after Ordinance 5165 goes into effect. (April 10, 2014). The Ordinance requires each adult occupant (age 18 or older) who lets, leases or rents a dwelling unit in the City of Fremont to obtain a residential occupancy license.
3. Occupancy License Application forms can be obtained on this website or at the Fremont Police Department, located at 725 N. Park Avenue, 2nd Floor, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. There will be a cost of $5.00 per License issued
Under Ordinance 5165, it is unlawful to, among other things,
(1) lease or rent a rental unit as a lessor without obtaining and retaining a copy of the license of each known occupant; or
(2) as a landlord, knowingly permit an occupant to occupy a rental unit without a valid license. The Ordinance does not impose any penalties upon occupants.
Ordinance 5165 relies entirely upon the definitions of immigration status provided by federal immigration law, 8 U.S.C. § 1101, et seq.
The City must accept the federal government's determination of each alien's status, pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1373(c).
Judicial review shall also be available. Federal immigration law governs suits for judicial review of actions taken under the ordinance.
The terms of this section shall be applied uniformly, and enforcement procedures shall not differ based on a person's race, ethnicity, religion, or national origin.
The City of Fremont shall not construe Ordinance 5165 to prohibit the rendering of emergency medical care, emergency assistance, or legal assistance to any person.
Any comments may be sent by
Legal Defense Support
The City of Fremont has set up an avenue to contribute to the city’s legal and other costs associated with defending the ordinance passed at the June 21st election. These donations may be made online through Paypal or mailed to the following address:
City of Fremont
Attn: City Treasurer
400 East Military
Fremont, NE 68025
PayPal charges a small fee for using online payments. The fee will be deducted from your donation to the Legal Defense Support.
Please include a note specifying "Legal Defense Support".
May 5, 2014 – U.S. Supreme Court rejects challenge to Fremont’s immigration law
April 10, 2014 – Housing portion of Fremont’s Ordinance No. 5165 begin today
What parts of the Ordinance are being enforced?
How do I obtain an occupancy license?
Who must register with E-Verify?
Powered by CivicPlus
City of Fremont 400 E. Military Ave. Fremont, NE 68025 Ph: 402.727.2630 TDD: 402.727.2677